Now into the making side of the project, I have been focusing my time on identifying objects that are overloaded with unnecessary information. Continuing to spend time with my grandma, who is 89 and suffers from Alzheimer’s disease, I am observing the everyday activities which have become either mentally or physically difficult for her. I understand now that a lot of the features of everyday life are simply too overcomplicated for her (and probably many other elderly people). One of the things I know about her daily life now is that she regularly only watches one television channel because she only presses the on/off button on her remote control, stressed and confused with the overwhelming amount of seemingly useless buttons. To communicate this, I have chosen to adapt a series of objects to show what technology might look like if we removed all the unnecessary information. The objects I have identified are a microwave, a TV remote control and an alarm clock. I hope the resulting images encourage us as designers and as people to reflect on the issues faced by the elderly and consider how we might reimagine a world that’s built for a younger generation.
Since the microwave is much larger than both the TV remote and alarm clock, I have been considering how to pull all of the images together as a set considering the difference in scale. Above is a plan of how I will crop the microwave image. I will also use an exhibition style caption on each image giving the name of the project, the specific name of each object (e.g. Panasonic... Microwave), and a brief line explaining that they have been adapted. Below are some references I have been looking at for the layout/typographic style of this caption.
Since the microwave is much larger than both the TV remote and alarm clock, I have been considering how to pull all of the images together as a set considering the difference in scale. Above is a plan of how I will crop the microwave image. I will also use an exhibition style caption on each image giving the name of the project, the specific name of each object (e.g. Panasonic... Microwave), and a brief line explaining that they have been adapted. Below are some references I have been looking at for the layout/typographic style of this caption.
In the coming week I will be focusing on photographing my images and editing the photographs. After that I will layout my posters for the final pinup. I plan to print each of the posters A2 size so that people can interact with and understand the project without the original objects being there.




